Bandstand is an original musical composed by Richard Oberacker with book and lyrics by Oberacker and Robert Taylor. 
The musical tells the story of a mismatched band of military veterans who join together to compete in a national radio contest in New York City with a prize that will guarantee instant stardom to the winners. But with complicated relationships, the demands of the competition and the challenging after-effects of war, going all the way for a win in the contest seems like a dream that may break these musicians.
The original production of Bandstand, directed by Andy Blankenbuehler and starring Laura Osnes, Corey Cott and Beth Leavel, premiered at the Paper Mill Playhouse in Millburn in October 2015 and made its Broadway debut on March 31, 2017.
A workshop of Bandstand was held in September 2014 in New York City, and featured Laura Osnes, Corey Cott and Beth Leavel.
The show, retitled as The Bandstand, began previews on October 8, 2015, at the Paper Mill Playhouse in Millburn, New Jersey, before holding its official opening on October 18, 2015, for a limited run until November 8, 2015. Direction and choreography was by Andy Blankenbuehler, with the cast that starred Corey Cott, Laura Osnes and Beth Leavel as Donny, Julia, and Mrs. Adams, respectively. The musical contains swing, bebop, and jitterbug.
The musical, its title once again Bandstand, will premiere on Broadway at the Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre on April 26, 2017 after starting previews on March 31, and closed September 2017 after 164 0erformances with Osnes and Cott and direction and choreography by Andy Blankenbuehler. The Broadway cast features Beth Leavel, Joe Carroll, Brandon James Ellis, James Nathan Hopkins, Geoff Packard, and Joey Pero. (The transfer was first announced on November 5, 2015.)
According to the musical’s official site, Bandstand “is the high-stepping musical about love in full swing and tells the story of musician Donny Novitski who is about to take on the mission of his life: leading his band of fellow veterans into competition for America’s next swing band sensation. However, complicated relationships, the demands of the competition and the challenging after-effects of war may break these musicians. The original score is strongly influenced by authentic 1940s swing music, much of which is played onstage by the characters and band members. When Donny meets a beautiful, young singer named Julia, he finds the perfect harmony in words and music that could take this band of brothers all the way to the live radio broadcast finale in New York City. But to succeed, it will require every ounce of talent, stamina and raw nerve that these musicians possess.”
Characters and Original Cast
The characters and original cast:
|Character||Paper Mill Playhouse (2015)||Original Broadway Cast (2017) |
|Julia Trojan||Laura Osnes|
|Donny Novitski||Corey Cott|
|Mrs. June Adams||Beth Leavel|
|Johnny Simpson||Joe Carroll|
|Davy Zlatic||Brandon J. Ellis|
|Jimmy Campbell||James Nathan Hopkins|
|Wayne Wright||Geoff Packard|
|Nick Radel||Joey Pero|
|Flora Novitski / Production Assistant||Lauren Mufson|
|Oscar Novitski / Sydney Lemon / James Haupt||Daniel Cooney|
|Dolores / Talent Booker||Jessica Lea Patty|
|Mr. Jackson||Ryan Kasprzak|
|Andre Baruch / Oliver||Thomas Cannizzaro|
|Blue Wisp Waitress / Entertainment Director||Tanya Birl||Morgan Marcell|
|Jean Ann Ryan||Stacia Fernandez||Mary Callanan|
|Roger Cohen||Jeff Pew||Ryan VanDenBoom|
- “Broadway’s Bandstand Marks an Historic Theatrical First | Playbill”. Playbill. Retrieved 2017-04-11.
- “The Verdict: Critics Review ‘The Bandstand’ at Paper Mill Playhouse”, Playbill, October 20, 2015
- Gans, Andrew. “Tony Winner Andy Blankenbuehler Will Helm NYC Workshop of ‘Bandstand: A Musical’ ” Playbill, May 27, 2014
- Lloyd Webber, Imogen. # ” Joe Carroll, Brandon J. Ellis & More Set for The Bandstand, Starring Laura Osnes & Corey Cott” Broadway.com, August 21, 2015
- Saltzman, Simon. “A CurtainUp New Jersey Review. The Bandstand” CurtainUp, October 18, 2015
- Viagas, Robert. “Broadway-Bound ‘Bandstand’ Musical Books Theatre and Dates” Playbill, November 4, 2016
- Gans, Andrew. “Principal Cast Announced for Broadway’s ‘Bandstand’ Musical” Playbill, November 30, 2016
- a b Gordon, David. ” Laura Osnes and Corey Cott Will Transfer to Broadway With The Bandstand” TheatreMania, November 5, 2015
- “The Bandstand: On Broadway | Official Broadway Site”. The Bandstand: On Broadway. Retrieved 2016-05-20.
- “The Cast”. stageview.co. Stageview. 20 May 2016. Retrieved 20 May 2016.
- Full reference details at Wiki