Criterion Theatre London
The Criterion Theatre is a West End theatre situated on Piccadilly Circus in the City of Westminster, and is a Grade II* listed building. It has an official capacity of 588.The first production opened on 21 March 1874 under the management of Henry J. Byron & EP Hingston. The programme consisted of An American Lady written and performed by Byron and a piece by W. S. Gilbert, with music by Alfred Cellier, entitled Topsyturveydom.
Theatre Facilities Wheelchairs There are two wheelchair spaces in the back row of the Upper Circle. Wheelchair access is through the step free entrance beside the Stage Door in Jermyn Street, behind the theatre. Hearing There is a portable induction loop available at the Box Office and a Sennheiser infra-red hearing system in all parts of the auditorium. Headsets are available for patrons from the Cloakroom. We also provide occasional sign language interpreted performances – please contact the Box Office for dates and more information on 020 7839 8811.
There is one accessible toilet on the Upper Circle, with step free access from Jermyn Street upon request.
GUIDE DOGS Assistance dogs are not allowed into the auditorium but theatre staff are able to look after up to two dogs per performance in the Theatre Manager’s office. We also provide occasional audio described performances – please contact the Box Office for dates and more information on 020 7839 8811.
Construction In 1870, the caterers Spiers and Pond began development of the site of the White Bear, a seventeenth-century posting inn. The inn was located on sloping ground stretching between Jermyn Street and Piccadilly Circus, known as Regent Circus. A competition was held for the design of a concert hall complex, with Thomas Verity winning out of 15 entries. He was commissioned to design a large restaurant, dining rooms, ballroom, and galleried concert hall in the basement.
The frontage, which was the façade of the restaurant, showed a French Renaissance influence using Portland stone. After the building work began, it was decided to change the concert hall into a theatre. The composers’ names, which line the tiled staircases, were retained and can still be seen. The redesign placed the large Criterion Restaurant and dining rooms above the theatre, with a ballroom on the top floor. When Spiers and Pond applied for a licence to operate, the authorities were unhappy because the theatre was underground and lit by gas, creating the risk of toxic fumes. The Metropolitan Board of Works had to vote twice before the necessary licence was issued, and fresh air had to pumped into the auditorium to prevent the audience from being asphyxiated. It was not until October 1881, at the Savoy, that the first theatre was lit electrically. The building was completed in 1873 with the interior decoration carried out by Simpson and Son.
Address – 2 Jermyn St, London SW1Y 4XA UK
Box Office – 9.00 am to 7.00 pm – Phone – 20 7839 8811
Transport – Piccadilly Circus or Leicester Square)Bus – 3, 6, 9, 12, 13, 14, 15,19, 22, 23, 38, 88, 94, 139, 159, 453